Tell me again

"Mummy?"

"Yes Miss V?"

"Tell me the story of when daddy died?"

"In the morning, early early early, even before the sun was up, daddy started poking me in the ribs to wake me up. He poked, then he tickled, then he started jumping up and down like a frog on the bed to get my attention. When I was awake he lay down next to me and said, "Guess what? We're pregnant!!!" ... And he was right! You were a teeny tiny little baby growing in my tummy, and your daddy knew all about you..."

"Even before you told him.."

"That's right, even before I told him! After lunch daddy had to go to his deli to make some food and drink some coffee. He left in his car, then he came back again because he wanted to tell you how much he loved you, and he did that by rubbing my tummy. Then he left in his car again... Then he came back AGAIN to tell you he loved you even MORE!!! He left again and this time he called us on the phone as soon as he got to the deli to tell us all that he loved us all very very very very very very much. He called lots and lots and lots that day..."

"Every half an hour all afternoon..."

"... Every Half hour, all afternoon. On his way home, dad stopped at the shops to get some chocolate so that we could all celebrate our teeny tiny baby growing in my tummy. It was after J and F's bedtime and daddy knew that, so he called from the car to say please please please could we all get up again so we can have a Miss V party with him! He was so very happy and so very excited about his teeny tiny jelly baby."

"Me!"

"You, Miss V! There was another man driving home that night, too. He had made some bad choices that evening and his body wasn't very good at driving. The man wasn't paying enough attention and so he caused a car accident. He drove into daddy's car and there was a big crash. Cars are big and heavy and much tougher than people, so when they crashed together daddy's body got broken and stopped working..."

"... And that's when he died."

"Yes, that's when he died. But daddy is always always always so very excited about his teeny tiny baby V, he is always celebrating your life and all we have to do to celebrate with him is wake up and think of chocolate! And you know the very best bit, Miss V?"

"Daddy is happy because he knows that we know he loves us lots, and lots, and lots, and LOTS!"

"And lots and lots and lots!"

.....

"Mum?"

"Yes Miss V?"

"Tell me again?"

7 comments:

MissyBoo said...

Hugs to you, Al, and the biggest of hugs to little Miss V. What a lovely way to tell a very sad story.

xoxox

♥.Trish.♥ Drumboys said...

We weep together
We laugh together
We hope together and we eat chocolate together...perfect !

I agree with Lani what a precious way to have Miss V know how much her daddy loved her (all of you)
xo

Alison said...

Thanks Lani :-)

Gorgeous sentiment Trish!

Ian | Quantum Learning said...

I had tears in my eyes just reading the title. This is so sad and so beautiful in its sadness.

jeanie said...

I think it so important that the folklore of families continues in this generation - you have crafted a wonderful tale for the girls to weave into their lives. Beautiful.

Alison said...

Ian - Thanks for sharing our moment :-)

Jeanie - I like the idea of being able to create our own, 'best of' version. Thanks for your support too, Jeanie :-)

Fe said...

Oh Alison. I had no idea.

There are no words that I can find to do justice to the content of this post.

The way you have written it is priceless. And I'm so very very sorry that it ever had to be written.

Fe x