The Teddy Tour

Some of you fabulous readers may remember from this post, that I am a survivor of childhood sexual assault. It is something that has shaped my life in many ways, and thankfully, it has turned into an experience that I was able to take something positive from in the form of educating my children and empowering them with self protection knowledge and skills.
Even though it is an experience that I have come to terms with and no longer feel uncomfortable about discussing, the topic of childhood sexual assault in the wider community is still one of those things in the "don't go there" basket. It seems that for a lot of people, the thought of children being sexually assaulted is far to awful to even contemplate, let alone actually speaking about it... And I agree that childhood sexual assault is an awful, gut wrenching, unthinkable crime against children... But NOT speaking about it only gives power to the perpetrators and adds to the feelings of shame and guilt that so many survivors experience, even though it is not their fault, and they have nothing to be ashamed of.

A very good friend of mine, Megan from Imaginif, used to run a website called the Teddy Tour, where survivors could submit a tag anonymously that would be given to a Teddy who would wear it for the whole world to see. This website harnessed the voice of many, many survivors from all over the world and was as confronting as it was inspiring. Unfortunately, due to Megan's real world commitment to protecting children, she was unable to keep up with the online Teddy Tour and the website was closed down.

Last week, I received an email from a friend, who is just as crazy and just as passionate about ending the silence surrounding childhood sexual assault as I am... And I was thrilled to see that she has taken over the Teddy Tour!!! She has built a new website which looks absolutely fantastic, and started a new Tour as the previous content was lost when the old site was closed.

If you haven't already, please head on over to the Teddy Tour .com and support this fantastic project. Like Ali says,

"Yes, childhood sexual assault is an awful crime against children, but these stories are important and they deserve to be heard."

6 comments:

♥.Trish.♥ Drumboys said...

I cannot begin to even suggest I understand the trials you have already passed.
I hope the teddy tour gives the voice to the many victims of childhood sexual assult and promotes a better understanding for us all.
Good luck Al.

Fe said...

Am definitely heading over there. What a great cause.

btw: I've just given you some bloggy-love over on fe.org.au. xoxo

0 said...

Maybe I was already feeling a bit rocky today, but I cried my eyes out at the few teddies already there. There's something in the way Teddy Tour delivers its message that is so effective...

MissyBoo said...

What a great cause and a great idea

jeanie said...

Excellent cause - I do hope that Teddy speaking up can free many from potential and past trauma.

Unknown said...

It is such a powerful and safe space - I go there most everyday and still leave every time with tears in my eye - both for the wrongs committed and the strength of the survivors. May it go viral .....